Columbian Elementary is one of the oldest community schools in Denver founded just ten years after the district itself. We are located in the Sunnyside neighborhood of Northwest Denver at 40th Avenue and Federal Blvd. We educate from early childhood age three, through fifth grade, as well as a multi-intensive center program. Our academic programs also include Art, Music, Physical Education, Gifted and Talented, and targeted interventions within the regular school day. Grant-based enrichment programs for our students are offered after school with Columbian staff as well as community partners. Financial support for these programs is provided by the DPS Foundation. through the Lights On After School partnership.
Columbian Elementary School opened in 1892. We have enjoyed over 100 years of tradition in Northwest Denver. Our “community school” is located at 2925 West 40th Avenue, in Denver on the corner of 40th and Federal Boulevard. Our one story structure was erected in 1985. The facilities staff and supervisors ensure that the building is well maintained, clean and safe for all members.
Outside we have three play structures, adjoined by our soccer field, tetherball and basketball courts. Our community garden, frequently maintained by students and family volunteers, helps us to recognize nature and landscape and natural vegetation. Our colorful multi-ethnic mural and banners created by our students are easily visible from Federal Blvd. and demonstrate the diversity within our halls.
Columbian currently serves around 200 students. Our youngest are three and four years old and students continue through fifth grade. Each member of our school community – staff, students and family members – is committed to our students’ success through rigor, personalization, and joy!