Columbian Elementary School opened in 1892. We have enjoyed over 100 years of tradition in Northwest Denver. Our “community school” is located at 2925 West 40th Avenue, in Denver on the corner of 40th and Federal Boulevard. Our one story structure was erected in 1985. The facilities staff and supervisors ensure that the building is well maintained, clean and safe for all members. Columbian is air conditioned and we have a multipurpose lunchroom/auditorium, a gymnasium, an art room and a parent resource center.
Outside we have three play structures, adjoined by our soccer field, tetherball and basketball courts. Our community garden, frequently maintained by students and family volunteers, helps us to recognize nature and landscape and natural vegetation. Our colorful multi-ethnic mural and banners created by our students are easily visible from Federal Blvd. and demonstrate the diversity within our halls.
Columbian currently serves around 300 students. Our youngest are three and four years old and students continue through fifth grade. We have 18 teachers in classrooms and in special areas and 15 non-instructional staff who support our students in different ways. Each member of our school community – staff, students and family members – is committed to our students’ success! We believe that we provide a welcoming and nurturing environment and instruction that is academically rigorous.